Dr. Robert C. Wilson Obituary
June 4, 1981
'Father of Pharmacy in GA.'
Dr. Robert C. Wilson, 102, Dies
Dr. Robert C. Wilson, Sr., 102, 287 Henderson Ave., dean emeritus of the University of Georgia School of Pharmacy, died Today. He join the university faculty in 1907 and was administrative head of the School of Pharmacy from 1914-48. In recognition of his outstanding professional achievement and stature, the Georgia Pharmaceutical Association designated him as "Father of Pharmacy in Georgia."
The funeral will be Friday at 11 a.m. at the First United Methodist Church with Dr. Bevel Jones and Rev. Wesley Stephens officiating. Burial will be in Oconee Hill Cemetery. The body will be placed in the church at 10 a.m.
Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. Kenneth (Grace) Waters, Athens; two sons, M. Troutman Wilson, Athens, and Robert C. Wilson Jr., Thomasville; seven grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.
A native of Sparta, Hancock County, he was a son of the late Richard C. and Carrie Turner Wilson.
Dr. Wilson entered the retail drug business as a high school graduate in 1897 and was licensed as a pharmacist by examination. He moved to Athens in 1902 and began his academic career as an instructor at the University of Georgia School of Pharmacy in 1907. He subsequently obtained his Graduate in Pharmacy certificated through summer study at the University of the South.
In 1911 he married Grace Troutman Wilson, daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. M.L. Troutman of Athens.
In 1914 Dr. Wilson was appointed successor to the first dean of the School of Pharmacy. During the next 34 years he worked to improve the status of pharmacy education, pharmacy practice, pharmacy legislation and interprofessional rapport in Georgia. Under his guidance the university became one of the first institutions to adopt a four-year bachelor of science degree for pharmacy. He proposed legislation to restrict the sale of dangerous drugs and he served the Georgia Pharmaceutical Association as president and secretary-treasurer.
Dr. Wilson was elected president of the American Association of College of Pharmacy in 1936 and chairman of the House of Delegates of the American Pharmaceutical Association in 1937. In 1940 he was vice president of the Pharmacopoeial Convention. He was name honorary president of the American Pharmaceutical Association. Following retirement from the University of Georgia in 1948, he held temporary academic positions in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Michigan.
Upon his return to Athens, he published his book, "Drugs and Pharmacy in the Life of Georgia (1733-1959)" He continued to address convocations at the School of Pharmacy until recent years.
In honor of his 100th birthday, the State Board of Regents designated the U.Ga. pharmacy building as the "Robert C. Wilson Pharmacy Building."
Dr. Wilson was a member of the First United Methodist Church, where he served as chairman of the board of trustees and chairman of the board of stewards. He was a member of the Tuck Sunday School Class and wrote a history of the Methodist Church.
Among professional and academic organizations he held memberships in the American Pharmaceutical Association, the Georgia Pharmaceutical Association, the Robert C. Wilson (Athens) Pharmaceutical Association, the American Chemical Society, the Amerian Association for the Advancement of Science, Phi Delta Chi, Phi Kappa Phi and Blue Key. He had served as chairman of the Athens-Clarke County Board of Health, the Athens Chapter of the American Red Cross, on the advisory council of the Georgia State Baord of Health, a fellow of the Georgia Academy of Science and a director of the Southern Association of Science and Industry. He was listed in American Men of Science, Who's Who compilations for America, American Education, the South, and Sate Pharmaceutical Association Secretaries. Other affiliations include the Athens Country Club, the Elks Cub and the Blue Lodge Masons.
Pallbearers will be Eugene Epting, John Bondurant, T.H. Milner Jr., Dr. Al Jowdy, Dr. Howard Ansel and Gordon Dudley. Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Tuck Sunday School Class and the Robert C. Wilson Pharmaceutical Association.
The family request that in lieu of flowers, those so desiring may make contributions to the building fund of the First United Methodist Church of the Robert C Wilson Scholarship Fund at the University of Georgia.
The family is at the residence.
Bridges Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.